High school student in a college class.

Types of Aid

State and federal governments provide a number of options:

  • Grants, scholarships, and waivers that do not have to be repaid
  • Loans, which must be repaid with interest
  • The federal work-study program, which provides part-time employment that can also help you pay for college


  • Federal Pell Grant - Federal Pell Grants are the foundation of federal student financial aid and are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree.  Pell grant amounts can change yearly.
  • Kentucky CAP Grant - The College Access Program (CAP) provides grants to students enrolled in eligible programs at OCTC.  CAP Grants are awarded to Kentucky residents who are enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours).  To qualify for the CAP Grant, student must file the FAFSA before the priority deadline of March 15 each year. 
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) - The SEOG is awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need – those with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC) numbers as determined by the FAFSA.  Not every eligible student will receive an SEOG.  Students at OCTC will be awarded SEOG based on the availability of funds.  The amount of your SEOG award will vary depending on when you apply, your level of need and your other financial aid awards. 
  • Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG) - The ACG provides up to $750 for the first year of undergraduate study and up to $1,300 for the second year.  This award is for students who have graduated from high school after January 1, 2005 and have completed a rigorous high school program. 

Owensboro Community and Technical College does not participate in the following federal grant programs:

  • National SMART Grant
  • TEACH Grant

Work Study

The Federal Work Study (FWS) Program provides jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for educational expenses.  The program encourages community service work and work related to your course whenever possible.

Contact the OCTC Financial Aid Office for an application or go to Financial Aid Forms and print the “Federal Work Study Employment Application.”  Submit the completed application to the OCTC Financial Aid Office.  Applications are kept on file for one academic year.

Once a supervisor chooses to hire you, the Financial Aid Office will process your FWS award and present it to you in a Financial Aid Package.  Your FWS wages will be at least the current federal minimum wage.  Your total FWS award depends on when you apply, your level of need, and the FWS Program funding level for the current academic year.

For more information about OCTC Federal Work Study opportunities, please contact Bernice Ayer at (270)686-4518.


Federal loans are the largest source of student loans.  These loans have more favorable terms than private loans; therefore, you should try to obtain federal loans before looking into private loans whenever possible. The Federal Stafford Loan Program provides financial assistance through lenders to expand higher education opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and professional students attending postsecondary schools at least half-time (6 credit hours).

Applying for a Student Loan

You must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Then, you must visit www.studentloans.gov and complete both of the following:

  • Online Entrance Counseling
  • Electronically sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN)

When do I have to repay my loan?

You receive a six-month grace period before starting repayment on Stafford Loans after dropping below half-time study, graduation from college or leaving school for other reasons.

What is the interest rate on a student loan?

The rate is subject to change; however, it should not rise above 8.25%.

For more information about OCTC student loan opportunities, please contact Andrea Borregard at (270)686-4519.


A variety of scholarships are available to all enrolled students. Scholarships can be based upon academic progress and success, the program you are pursuing or your financial need. 

What types of scholarships are available?

We provide a variety of scholarships based on academic performance, financial need, academic program and/or your county of residence.  The scholarship office will determine which scholarship best fits your need.  We strongly encourage you to apply for other external scholarships as well.  Check with your high school guidance counselor for opportunities.

With National Science Foundation funding, OCTC will award approximately 20  Science, Technology, Engineering and Math scholarships this year for new students. To find out more and to see if you are qualified please click here.

The Hager Civic Engagement Scholars Program is a unique opportunity for students to challenge themselves academically and gain real world leadership experiences. Size is limited and scholarships are available click here for the application and instruction on how to apply.

Applying for a scholarship

Students can find out more information about the available scholarship opportunities in the OCTC Scholarship Brochure. Each student must complete the OCTC Scholarship Application. You must also file a FAFSA application and have one letter of recommendation (unless specified otherwise). Incomplete applications will not be processed making you ineligible for scholarships.

For more information about OCTC scholarship opportunities, please contact Andrea Borregard at (270)686-4521.